Architecture Engineering Environment
Meet The Team
Ed von Dran, PE, CEM, President / Chief Engineer
Ed has more than 40 years of experience in Engineering, Project Management, Government Acquisitions and Electronic System repair. He has extensive Program / Project Management experience in all facets of the engineering arena including Site Identification, Investigation and Construction, Industrial Hygiene, and Safety. Project Management skills include Project Planning, Contract Administration, Statement of Work writing, Cost Estimating, Proposal Preparation & Evaluation, Negotiations and Contract Document Writing & Review. Project Engineer, Data and Configuration Control Manager for projects ranging in size up to $500M. Experienced with all governmental regulatory agencies. Ed is the principal owner and chief engineer for Alpha Terra Engineering, Inc., since 1997.
- Overton-Brooks VAMC Parking Garage Addition, Shreveport, LA. Program Manager leading a multi-disciplinary team to provide project management, environmental assessments and design services for a garage addition at the Overton-Brooks VA Medical Center (OBVAMC). This project involves expanding an existing 2-story parking garage by providing an additional 284 parking spaces in a 4-story addition. The initial NTP includes providing a schematic design and a complete set of drawings suitable for construction bidding. We will investigate and survey Overton Brooks VAMC within the project scope. We will obtain approval of the siting plan, floor plan, preliminary cost estimates, and list of probable specification sections and provide the initial design analysis and approach. The design will then proceed with 35%, 65%, 95% and Construction Documents (CD) submittals. A separate NTP will be issued later for Construction Period Services (CPS). Preliminary work includes topographic and utility surveys and a geotechnical investigation. ATEI is conducting an Environmental Assessment (EA) in parallel with the design effort.
- Expansion of Emergency Department and New Human Resources Building at the Audie L. Murphy VAMC, San Antonio, TX. Led multi-disciplinary team to provide design services for existing Emergency Department (ED) and HR Department. The primary goal of this project was to expand and renovate the existing ED. Located in a 1970s era building on an existing campus, the only option for the ED was to expand into the existing HR Department, requiring the relocation of the HR Department. Post expansion, the ED tripled in size to approximately 19,048 SF. The total number of treatment rooms doubled in number and existing treatment rooms renovated to meet current standards.
- Radiation Oncology Services Building at the Audie L. Murphy VAMC, San Antonio, TX. Led multi-disciplinary team to provide design services for a new 10,840 SF Radiation Oncology Building. The building design incorporates the use of two LINAC machines. Connecting the building to the main hospital is a climate- controlled corridor facilitating patient comfort. The design includes site utilities, site development, slab design, physical security, parking layouts, and landscaping. Supervised a team of architects and engineers designing the facility to meet VA standards. He ensured successful execution of feasibility/concept studies, cost estimates, value engineering, environment compliance, design, and submittal reviews.
- VISN 20 Facility Condition Assessments, Various Locations. Led a diverse team of professionals to assess 10 VAMCs throughout the northwest US and Alaska, with over 6.2M SF of space, using the VA FCA 101 Guidelines. Challenges include data acquisition from participating hospitals and assessing facilities within the specified schedule. Because of ATEI’s and our subcontractors’ work history with FCAs over the past 15+ years, our attention to detail and ability to discern important from inconsequential data allows us to meet assessment expectations. ATEI uses a zero-based cost estimating process that leads to more accurate and detailed cost estimates.
- VISN 22 Facility Condition Assessments, Various Locations. Led a diverse team of professionals to perform Facility Condition Assessments (FCAs) of the 9 main hospital campuses comprising VA VISN 22. This project required physically observing all areas of the medical centers, conducting interviews of key staff members and the comprehensive research of existing conditions. The project consisted of approximately 10,127,766 gross square feet of floor area within approximately 445 buildings, from the 9 sites in the 3 states of AZ, CA ,and NM.
- Builder Assessment for DLA, Ft Belvoir, VA and Barstow, CA. Served as a mechanical assessor evaluating 500K SF/3.8M SF of facilities at both locations. Each location was unique with peculiarities attendant to a secure building on the east coast and warehouses on the west coast. Both facilities contained classified materials of differing degrees always requiring escorts. The work included assessing the facilities in accordance with the USACE Builder assessment program. Reporting requirements included photo documentation of all items, classification of discrepancies, and documentation of conditions in a flawless report. Total field time was four weeks; post processing time three weeks.
- Natural Gas Fueling Station Design, Lake Jackson, TX. Responsible for the siting, mechanical, plumbing, and general layout/structural design services for the natural gas fast fill station for CNG Partners / the City of Lake Jackson. The project was a unique public / private venture. This station is serving both the public and government owned vehicles. The fast fill fuel islands station allows vehicles to quickly fill their natural gas-powered vehicles in just 10-minutes. The design required knowledge of high-pressure plumbing and mechanical design and assembly design for dispensing and accessories. The designs required extensive knowledge of NFPA, City of Lake Jackson, State, and Federal guidelines, regulations, codes, and permitting. Challenges encountered included limited space, and preservation of trees, and negotiating solutions regarding regulatory/code conflicts with permit reviewers.
- City of Elmendorf, Elmendorf, TX. Provided general environmental compliance services to a racing fuel blending company since 2013. Revised both the SPCC and SWPPP plans to reflect recently revised regulations and renegotiation of the general stormwater permit. Prepared Toxic Release Inventories and Tier II reports under the Emergency Planning and Community Right to know Act. Revising facility air permits and conducting an environmental audit under the TX Audit Privilege Act, the results of which will enable the client to avoid fines and penalties due to the company’s rapid growth in the past year. Design and implementation of a vapor recovery system and flare involving tank emissions modeling using State and EPA approved methods.
- Ozona Oil & Gas, State of TX. Provided an assessment of an 1800-acre oil lease in use since the early 1950s. Evaluated environmental impact of current and past petroleum exploration and operations and prepared spill plans, closure cost estimates, and naturally occurring radioactive material assessments. The environmental assessment also included evaluation of the impact on threatened and endangered species, and typically recognized environmental conditions. This project was considered hazardous due to the presence of lethal concentrations of hydrogen sulfide gas. Air monitoring respiratory protection protocols were monitored closely. The assessment and opinions rendered provided critical information that led the client to an informed decision not to purchase the property.
- City Public Service, San Antonio, TX. Provided infrastructure design support services for City Public Service (CPS). Completed assessments and redesign of facilities operated by CPS across Bexar County. Integral to each project was the need for the design of stormwater runoff control and assessment of any change to pervious cover. Successfully established appropriate and complete storm water control measures with all projects.
- Professional Engineer: TX (92737), AR (16814), OH (79441), LA (40110), WY (14710) & KS (23865-Retired)
- Bachelor of Science – Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science – Environmental Science
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Energy Manager (19647)
Mario Davila, Vice President/Operations
Mario has more than 30 years of experience in managing/leading a wide variety of engineering projects to include design, process improvement/LEAN, capital investment/construction management, engineering management and small business ownership as a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB). In addition, Mario is a retired Major and served in the Texas Army National Guard as a Field Artillery Officer where he successfully completed combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and was awarded two Bronze Stars for meritorious service while conducting combat operations.
- Director-MEP, San Antonio Independent School District, San Antonio, Tx. Provide oversight, direction, management, and supervision for developing and implementing the maintenance and operation of district facilities. Implement strategic plans for the maintenance and upgrade of MEP systems to include the introduction of new technology. Maintain MEP systems for 96 schools and 15 support facilities. Ensure that 48,000 students have the proper instructional environment by monitoring Indoor Air Quality, lighting, and plumbing systems. Led a team of 60 MEP Technicians with a budget of $7M/year to ensure systems were properly maintained and developed a long-term mechanical upgrade plan which included 29 schools. The mechanical upgrades occurred during the summers of 2019 through 2022 at a budget of $23M.
- President/Owner of MKD Solutions, LLC, San Antonio, Tx. Lead the development of a consulting and construction company that was established to provide project management, Commercial General Contracting, Facility Maintenance and Lean Consulting support and services. Services also included process improvement, capital project management, leadership and management consulting, and logistics and warehousing analysis. Established the LLC enterprise as an SDVOSB and completed multiple Maintenance Emergency Purchase Orders for the Audie Murphy VA Hospital in Sn Antonio, Tx. Member of a Facility Condition Assessment Team that analyzed facility deficiencies across six VA Hospitals and recommended facility upgrades and estimates which were used for congressional budgeting.
- Manufacturing Excellence Lead, International Paper, Texarkana, Tx. Lead all Manufacturing Excellence initiatives for the Planning, Scheduling and Distribution Department and the Quality Department to make significant step changes in the reduction of defects, increasing on-time delivery and overall system process improvements. Conducted Transit Damage Kaizen Event to decrease shipment transit damage from 23% to 10%. Dropped customer claims cost from $54,000 in January, 2014 to $8900 in August, 2015. Completed Warehouse Damage Defect Reduction Kaizen Event. The scope of the project was to decrease warehouse defects costs of $2.7M by 25% by end of year. After first month of project implementation, defects costs dropped from $511K per month to $130K per month
- Extruder Process Manager, International Paper, Texarkana, Tx. Responsible for managing the production of 2 poly extruders and warehouse operations which includes managing Finished Product shipments by truck and rail. Responsible for leading 44 unionized hourly employees. Led shift to accomplishing first or second place in every production category to include: Most tons produced, Lowest Reject Rate, Highest Machine Availability and most conveyances shipped. This was done by increasing technical knowledge of hourly employees, identifying, and developing junior leaders and by identifying and correcting root causes of production defects and errors by using various Pareto Charts.
- Project Manager, International Paper, Texarkana, Tx. Responsible for managing Mill Wide Capital Investment Projects, 2 Manufacturing Excellent Teams and was the mill Kaizen Trainer and Kaizen Facilitator. Completed 23 Capital Investment Projects worth $26.5 million which had an average ROI of 25%. This included construction, equipment installation and facility improvement projects. Major projects included a $500K Paper Machine Steam Upgrade, a $2M Pulp Mill Washer Drum Upgrade and a $5M Extruder Backstand Upgrade. Certified International Paper Kaizen Trainer. Responsible for traveling to other mills to train and certify mill Kaizen Facilitators. Traveled to 3 mills and certified 17 Kaizen Facilitators.
- Manager of Product Development, Taprite-Fassco MFG, San Antonio, Tx. Responsible for all Product Development and product redesign projects which were implemented to break into new markets or improve product functionality and reliability. Designed a Modular Regulator used in carbon dioxide dispense systems for the beer and soda industry to easily change the capacity of a dispense system and alleviate the need to disassemble the plumbing when replacing a carbon dioxide regulator. Designed Modular Regulator, Patent application No. 10/766,150, filed January 27, 2004. Granted Provisional Patent No. US 2005/0011554 A1 on January 20, 2005.
- Field Artillery Officer, Texas Army National Guard. Multiple career positions, over 26 years, all levels of responsibility, with multiple combat deployments. Security Force Advisory Team Commander. Operation Enduring Freedom, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. Responsible for mentoring and advising the Chief of Police in the 3rd Garrison Area of Operations, Kandahar City to facilitate combat operations and gain a positive rapport with the Afghan populace. Brigade Force Protection Officer-in-Charge, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Victory Base Complex, Baghdad, Iraq. Responsible for leading the Brigade’s Force Protection and Anti-Terrorism Team which was responsible for designing, implementing, and providing oversight of the Anti-Terrorism Program at Victory Base Complex (VBC) in Baghdad, Iraq. The complex included 8 Entry Control Points, 77 perimeter towers, 23 miles of walled or fenced perimeter and a population of 65,000 people. Other positions included Division Fire Support Coordinator, Assistant Brigade Fire Support Officer, Battalion S3, Battalion XO and Battery Commander.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Lean Construction Institute Certification
- Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters, OIF Campaign Medal and OEF Campaign Medal, NATO Medal, Army Parachutist Badge
Heather Lisenbee, Senior Manager, PMP
Heather is an accomplished professional with proven success managing simultaneous multi-million-dollar medical facility support and initial outfitting (IO) projects, worldwide, on-time and on-budget. She has extensive federal, state, and commercial contracting experience supporting both large and small businesses as well as managing cost-plus, time and material, and firm fixed price single award and multi-award contracts.
As a Senior Manager, Heather has over 25 years of combined experience in project and program management, operations, and human resource management. In addition to her extensive knowledge and capabilities in solving problems, managing difficult situations, and motivating teams, she has the superbly refined interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with clients and produce mutually beneficial outcomes.
Heather is also a USAF Veteran, having served 13 years in the United States Airforce as Medical Logistics; she held multiple positions over 13 years and supported various medical centers, hospitals, and clinics during her tenure.
Program Manager – Defense Health Agency (DHA), San Antonio, TX – Managed a multi-disciplinary team of professionals supporting the Program Management Office (PMO) and Transition Management Office (TMO) to assist the client with the transition from the tri-service medical activities (Army, Air Force & Navy) to the Defense Health Agency – Facility Enterprise (FE). Heather managed a team of portfolio and project managers, subject matter experts (SMEs), engineers and financial analysts interfacing with the prime contractor and senior level government stakeholders to support the Facility Life Cycle Management activities across the military health system. This support included reviewing and consolidating facility support agreements, updating property records in BUILDER and DMLSS, ensured the facilities met regulatory compliance requirements and assisted the client with centralizing all programs.
Program Manager – Medical Facilities Support Services (MFSS) – (USACE – Huntsville, AL) – Managed a multi-million dollar ($13M)/multi-disciplinary IDIQ contract providing project and facility support services, facility operations and maintenance support, and transition support services at 45 medical facilities located within the continental U.S. (CONUS). Typical support included: project coordination, facility assessments, facility planning services, project development services, site analysis services, and occupancy support services.
Project Manager – Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), Martinsburg, VA – Managed a team of multi-functional support service professionals to augment the medical facilities department providing full-service facility operations and maintenance support to the VAMC campus.
Program Manager – BUILDER – Defense Health Agency (DHA), San Antonio, TX – Provided BUILDER program management support to the DHA Facilities Enterprise Branch. Interfaced with AFMSA, BUMED, MEDCOM, JMLFDC, CERL and DHA senior leadership to plan and develop policies and procedures to standardize the multi-service business approach and project delivery methods in order to streamline into a standardized DHA execution framework. Fostered a collaborative environment to capture each service’s best practices for implementing into DHA’s BUILDER program objectives and business rules during transition of medical services to DHA. Provided program coordination for the continued implementation of the BUILDER facility condition assessments and sustainment management initiatives.
Program Manager – Initial Outfitting (IO) and Design-Build (DBIO) – USACE -Huntsville, AL & Little Rock, AR Districts) – Managed multiple teams supporting IO and DBIO projects (valued over $6M) in two countries and seven states. These large-scale projects included hospitals, laboratories and dental clinics with major renovations, additions, and new construction. Interfaced with Army, Air Force, Navy, and the US. Dept of Veteran Affairs representatives. Each project required different oversight levels ranging from full turn-key services to individual activities including comprehensive interior design, structural interior design, artwork and signage, space and equipment planning, transition and IT planning and low voltage planning, project management, public relations/media support, as well as specialized equipment, move management and property accountability. The projects ranged from one year to multi-year schedules and consisted of single phase or multi-phased projects. Heather managed a diverse team of project managers, transition and equipment planners, schedulers, and Biomedical Equipment Technicians (BMETs), as well as multiple subcontractors including interior designers, artwork, signage, and public relations consultants, low voltage, and space planners, moving and warehousing companies, OEMs, and other vendors. Heather participated in project team meetings, deliverable reviews, budget, and schedule management. She also provided on-site technical support to include project management, transition planning, inventory management and property accountability for various projects and has specialized expertise in medical logistics, supply chain, and medical equipment management.
Project Manager – Joint Medical Facilities Office (JMFO) and Health Facilities Planning Agency (HFPA), Ft. Sam Houston, TX – Managed five concurrent projects worth over $3.5M supporting the Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) tower addition and parking garage. Led a multi-functional team of project managers, engineers, architects, space planners, and construction managers.
Project Manager – San Antonio State Hospital (SASH), Texas Center for Infectious Disease (TCID), Texas Health and Human Services (THHS) and multiple commercial healthcare facilities – Managed multiple state and commercial projects ensuring BMETs provided preventative maintenance and equipment repair according to contract guidelines.
Human Resource Management and Facility Security Officer (FSO) – Led the Human Resources department for several small businesses servicing hundreds of employees in 35 states and overseas. Managed daily HR operations, employee relations and performance, full life cycle recruiting and onboarding while maintaining a strong company culture. Maintained company Top Secret Facility Clearance and interacted with Department of Security Services (DSS) on security matters. Managed company security program ensuring compliance with the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM).
Project Management Institute (PMI), www.pmi.org and Alamo Chapter
Society of Human Resources (SHRM), www.shrm.org and SAHRMA Chapter
Human Resources Standards Institute (HRCI), www.hrci.org
Master of Arts, Management and Leadership
Master of Arts, Procurement and Acquisition
Bachelor of Science, Management/Human Resources
Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
Graduate Certificate in Government Contracting
Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
Richard Deras, AIA, NCARB, Lead Senior Architect
Richard is an initiative taking architect with 28 years of experience managing large scale commercial, institutional and healthcare projects as well as small scale interior design projects throughout Texas and several other states. He collaborates effectively with all members of the team to successfully complete the project in a timely manner. Richard is proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, InDesign, Photoshop, and Bluebeam.
- Expansion of Emergency Department and New Human Resources Building at the Audie L. Murphy VA Medical Center, San Antonio, TX. Architectural Reviewer providing construction phase architectural reviews for the Emergency Department (ED) and HR Department (HR) Expansion project. The primary goal of this project was to expand and renovate the existing ED. Located in a 1970s era building on an existing campus, the only option for the ED was to expand into the existing HR Department, requiring the relocation of the HR Department. Post expansion, the ED tripled in size to approximately 19,048 SF. The total number of treatment rooms doubled in number and existing treatment rooms renovated to meet current standards. Challenges included using a multi-phased approach to keep the Emergency and HR Departments open during construction to meet the needs of veterans.
- Building HAZMAT Assessment and Renovation Design, Fort Hood, Killeen, TX. Leading multi-disciplinary team to provide design services for the renovation of buildings 42000 and 41003 at Ft Hood. This project involves converting the 2 old dining hall facilities into a Battalion and Brigade Headquarters to provide administrative offices/space for the military and civilian staff members. Challenges include bringing these buildings up to current ADA accessible standards.
- Sunshine Lofts Apartments and Retail, San Antonio, TX. Project Manager/Lead Architect who led a multi-disciplinary design team to provide project designs through collaboration with clients and team members to complete projects from schematic design through design development, development of construction documents, and ending with construction administration.
- Pizza Patron, McDowell Location, Phoenix, AZ. As lead architect, worked with the client to provide site visits of an existing lease space to adapt the client’s new pizza restaurant design into a new layout. Because of the limited information available for the existing building, site verification included coordination with consultants to determine the locations of the existing utilities and conditions of the structure. Once the existing conditions were confirmed, the current design concept was adapted to the lease space to meet the client’s needs and requests.
- New UPS Guardhouse, Dallas, TX. Project Manager/Lead Architect who led a multi-disciplinary design team to provide project analysis for the design of a new UPS guardhouse to replace the existing guardhouse. The project required collaboration with clients and team members to complete project design development, development of construction documents, and ending with construction administration.
- All The King’s Men Restaurant Finish-Out, Bryan, TX. Worked with client to program and provide a layout for a new restaurant finish out in a new shell building. This project included the incorporation of new equipment and development of a new curbside service. Coordination with the shell building contractor was necessary to provide the necessary layout and utilities for the client.
- HEB Beer & Wine Remodel (Store #31), San Antonio and Leon Springs, TX. Coordinated with client and store staff to remodel the Beer & Wine Department with a new concept and equipment. Project statement of work included survey of the existing department to verify the equipment to be relocated in the remodel and reported to client. Worked with client to clarify design and complete the design. Upon completion of the design, completed construction documents and coordinated with contractor.
- HEB Curbside Install (130 Stores Across Texas), Throughout Texas. Coordinated with client to incorporate the new Curbside Program into the existing stores across the company. For the new exterior curbside additions, a meeting was scheduled with the local municipality to clarify the functional compliance with the building code and aid the plan reviewers in understanding the function of the curbside program. SOW included the survey of assigned stores to determine the design necessary for each store. Each design’s location had to be site verified to fit into the existing store without disrupting the operations of the store. In addition to the selected location, the design had to include the curbside parking spaces assigned for customer pickup. These spaces and the entire curbside program had to be accessible.
- HEB Pharmacy New Refrigerator Install Rollouts (109 Stores Across Texas), Throughout Texas. Consulted with client and organized a team to survey and assess 109 pharmacies across Texas for a new drug storage refrigerator. With a limited schedule as a major challenge, the architectural team had to be organized to provide site visits and document the needs for each pharmacy simultaneously. Once the surveys were completed, the pharmacies had to be updated and the refrigeration conditions and/or needs were reported to the client for new equipment determination.
- Ismaili Jamatkhana Prayer Hall Remodel, San Antonio, TX. Coordinated the layout and design a new Prayer Hall that was added to an existing building to double the size of the facility. The project scope of work included research to layout the facility in order to meet the client’s needs.
- Helotes Hills United Methodist Church Remodel, Helotes, TX. Coordinated with church board members to determine modifications necessary to incorporate the congregation’s needs into an existing church lobby. In addition to the lobby remodel, the project’s statement of work included the remodel of an existing meeting hall to provide a larger indoor meeting area to meet the growing congregation’s needs. The adaptation of the existing facilities required consultation with the selected contractor to maintain church operation and execute the approved design.
- Sankey Equipment Finish-Out and Remodel, San Antonio, TX. Led a multi- disciplined consultant design team to meet with the client to help expedite an accelerated design/build schedule for the remodel. The client purchased a new building so that the client could vacate their current location due to an expired lease. This new facility had to incorporate the machine shop’s operations with large amounts of storage and large truck deliveries. Meetings with the local municipality were required to help expedite the code review process.
- Methodist Hospital Labor and Delivery Room Remodel, San Antonio, TX. Project Designer who met with team and client to provide a new design for an existing labor and delivery area. This new design required the installation of new equipment and procedural applications. Site survey and updating of the existing plans were necessary to complete a comprehensive design. Construction administration was included to observe and report progress of construction to hospital facility team.
- Sea World Funhouse Install, San Antonio, TX. Led the design team and meet with client to design a site layout for a client purchased 3 story water funhouse feature in a vacant area of the park. This design required the coordination with the funhouse manufacturer and coordination with the consultant team to provide the necessary utilities and structure for the function of the funhouse. While the area was vacant, the site had to be adapted to maintain customer pathways from various locations of the park.
- Registered Architect: TX (23365)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (74583)
- Bachelor of Arts – Architecture
Earl “Mac” McIntosh, Jr., IAC, EP, Sr. Vice President
Mac is a seasoned Environmental Consultant with over 30 years of experience in the environmental and industrial hygiene consulting industry specializing in a wide range of environmental assessments, building sciences, remediation/abatement designs and oversight of projects. Responsibilities include project management of professional environmental staff and developing sound solutions for impacted environments and/or buildings for clients in both government and commercial sectors. Duties also encompass preparing marketing plans and their execution, reviewing Source Sought and RFQ requests and works within a proposal team for senior staff review.
- CVS Pharmacy, San Antonio, TX. Client Manager for; Phase I environmental site assessments, asbestos services, lead-based paint services, and geotechnical engineering services to CVS through a master services agreement. Our asbestos services include inspections, project management, abatement design, and solicitation of bids from contractors, abatement oversight; air monitoring, sample analysis, report generation, and advising our client on regulatory compliance. Our team of professionals successfully completed over twenty-eight 28 projects in the San Antonio Area.
- City of San Antonio (CoSA) Transportation and Capital Improvements (TCI) Department, Environmental Site Assessments. Multiple Right-of-Way (ROW) Projects, 2017 General Obligation Bond, San Antonio, TX. Client Service Manager/Senior Project Manager. Served as Point-of-Contact under the Environmental Consulting Services Rotation Contract, managed portfolio of Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs)/Due Diligence for ROW improvement projects. Provided monthly project management report to the director of TCI environmental department, senior oversight and quality assurance for project requirements and project deliverables within the City’s Bond project schedules and budgets. Managed field teams for Construction-Derived Investigation (CDI) Phase II ESAs for environmental risk mitigation of the planned construction projects.
- General Growth Properties, TX, OK and NM. General Growth Properties is one of the largest owners of mall properties in the U.S. Services included ESAs, asbestos surveys and reporting, solicitation of bids from local abatement contractors, abatement project management and site monitoring. These projects required a quick turn-around from time of authorization due to client’s requirement to allow a new retail tenant access to a cleared space at their shopping mall.
- Brooks Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX. Project Manager of federal government contract at Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Air Force Base. Assisted the 311th Mission Support Group, Civil Engineering Division with finalizing open environmental issues associated with the closure of Brooks AFB prior to the opening of Brooks City Base. Our team of industrial hygienists and environmental personnel oversaw the cleaning and decontamination of laboratories through surface sampling to be deemed as “Cleared” in buildings on Brooks AFB. Managed the dismantling of computer UPS electrical systems in 12 buildings and removal of a computer server room Halon fire suppression tank from service.
- Brooks City Base, San Antonio, TX. Asbestos Consulting Annual Contract with Brooks City Base to provide asbestos consulting and air monitoring services (Award Date: 2007 and 2011). This annual contract was “on-call”, as needed asbestos services and included project design, abatement management/air monitoring, asbestos inspections, and regulatory compliance. Project Manager of a team of state licensed professionals to complete an inspection of base-wide utilities tunnels and several buildings. Our team was responsible for project management, project design, air monitoring and inspection services for all asbestos related activities.
- Frost Bank, San Antonio, TX. Since 1999, provided numerous Phase I and II ESAs for the Commercial Lending and Appraisal Departments to support the banks real estate transactions. Project sites included large to small office buildings, commercial retail centers and vacant land or ranch properties.
- Liberty State Park, New Jersey (NJDEP). Member of field sampling team to investigate the historical dredge spoils from New York Harbor after being placed on approximately 40-acres of land next to Ellis Island. Our sampling team advanced over 50 sampling locations within the dredge spoils area utilizing a tripod drilling equipment advancing Shelby tubes for sample collection.
- Greater Kelly Development Corporation, Kelly AFB/San Antonio TX. Conducted chemical waste inventory and waste stream analysis for several base buildings for EE&G. Our team identified known chemical materials and prepared options/budgets for future manifesting and determined the best value for proper disposal for the client.
- United Services Automobile Association (USAA), San Antonio, TX. Performed asbestos surveys, abatement design/bidding documents and air monitoring during abatement activities. The asbestos abatement activities were in conjunction with a major renovation project at the campus in which the building was occupied twenty- four hours (24) a day; seven (7) days a week. Approximate area of asbestos activities was 5 million square feet of occupied and non-occupied floor space.
- Southport Industrial Park, San Antonio, TX. Managed the completion of a Phase 1 ESA and wetland study on a 500-acre tract of land adjacent to the future Toyota Truck Plant in San Antonio, TX.
- Arckey Salvage Yard, NJ (NJDEP). Retained by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to investigate suspensions of a “Midnight Dump Facility”. Our field investigations included laying out a grid pattern (50×50 ft.) on approximately 10-acres of area, performing a magnetometer survey to identify potential areas of interest. These identified areas were unearthed, and several buried 55-gallon drums were removed and remotely opened containing various unknown solids and liquids.
- Boonton ISD, NJ. Responsible for the removal and remediation system design of a former leaking 10,000-gallon underground storage tank containing heating oil.
- Corpus Christi Naval Air Station (CCNAS), Corpus Christi, TX. Project manager for asbestos, lead base paint and chlordane sampling for future demolition activities. Project entailed over 150 military residences, providing bulk sampling of building materials and soil sampling. Provided pre-demolition abatement designs and bidding documents for asbestos abatement contractors, air monitoring/ project observation during abatement activities.
- Nextel-Texas, Phase I Environmental Site Assessments and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Studies, TX and AL. Provided numerous environmental projects for future cellular tower locations (>250 sites over a two-year period). Execution and response were key, as most projects had a turn-around time of 2 to 3 weeks on final reports after purchase order was authorized. To meet this aggressive time frame, our project management team developed a specific site rollout package for the environmental assessors. These included sites checklists (lotus) and various boilerplate report formats for each assessor to utilize in the field. Reports were emailed back to project managers from the field for review and forwarded to the client for approval.
- Social Security Administration/Federal Occupation and Health (FOH). Project manager for a large FOH contract to assess over a 100 Social Security Offices for asbestos and lead in drinking water throughout the U.S. Main responsibilities were to maintain contractual budget amounts per contract, maintain project schedule with multiple survey field teams and execute and submit a quality product by the deliverable date to the client.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), San Antonio, TX. Project Manager for a vehicle fuel spill cleanup & site restoration project in Salado Creek on a Camp Stanley, TX. Oversaw the project from point of vehicle spill, collection of soil and water samples, soil profiling and disposal of petroleum-contaminated soil and remediation of site. This incident was a reportable spill and through these successful efforts, we obtained our client a “No further Action” from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).
- Texas Department of State Health Services, Individual Asbestos Consultant, License No.10-5518
- Bachelor of General Studies, Environmental Studies, University of Kansas
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Texas Department of State Health Services, Individual Asbestos Consultant, Licensed No. 10-5518 (current)
- Asbestos Awareness Trainer (2-hour course)
- Asbestos Inspector Course (current on refresher)
- Asbestos Management/ Planner course (current on refresher)
- Asbestos Abatement Project Designer Course (current on refresher)
- Asbestos Air Monitoring Professional Course (current on refresher)
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Training Certificate No. 1212
- OSHA 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher Course (current on refresher)
- Soil Density/ Troxler Nuclear Testing Gauge Trained
- Dale Carnegie; Management Training Course
KEN POLASEK, Vice President/Business Development
Ken continues to leverage his Federal Business Development background and relationships to assist ATI to improve our position in the market space.
- Vice President Federal Programs, AG|CM Served in multiple capacities from Project Manager, Marketing and Strategic Development, Business Development (municipal, K-12, Higher Ed); to lead BD of Federal Programs. Member of the Executive Team for nine years. Helped grow company from 16 to 65 personnel; annual revenue from $2.5M to over $10M. Initial development of all marketing and business development materials – All Sectors. Established offices in San Antonio and Austin garnering new clients and successful business. Developed initial RFQ templates; successfully responding to over 300 solicitations. Successfully researched, crafted RFQs and succeeded in winning 2 Federal contracts as Prime. Adept at working teaming arrangements for Federal contracts – large and small. Understands SBA small business and large business teaming arrangements and rules. Program Manager to Ft Worth $5M; 5yrs Construction Phase Services Contract.
- Construction Manager Joint Project Management Office (JPMO), US Corps of Engineers Ft Sam Houston, San Antonio TX. Construction Manager provided construction phase services support to the Joint Program Management Office (JPMO) at Fort Sam Houston TX, specifically for the Tri-Services Laboratory, a single story four square acre structure serving the Air Force, Army and Navy branches. Duties included staff representation for all three phase meetings, preparatory, initial and follow-ups were conducted during all phases of construction. Coordinated design/drawing reviews, product data samples, certificates, test reports and O&M data submittals were conducted in a timely manner and received by the client in a timely manner.
- Corpus Christ Army Depot, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, TX. Construction Manager provided construction phase support services and project coordination for the $90M CCAD upgrade and test cell renovation. Interfaced with the client, designers, engineers to best determine project budgets, schedule and construction oversight requirements. Directed resources and reports to all respective parties in a timely and informative manner. Attended site meetings and conducted strategic partnering among key stakeholders.
- City of Corpus Christi Texas, Corpus Christi, TX. Construction Manager employing over 23 years construction and military experience in positions of increasing management and leadership. Assisted with the City of Corpus Christi’s $234.3 Million 2004 Bond/Storm Water Program providing Project Management and construction oversight to a multitude of projects. Coordination of project issues with key stakeholders and City staff. Construction Manager for the construction and renovation of 3 of 4 major city libraries within the city. Coordinated all elements of project development from initial concept design, working with major citizen groups, members of the Library Department and City Council in coordinating the $4.5M program. Conducted and led project design review meetings, committee action groups, site inspections, construction close-out to final ribbon cuttings.
- Aviano Air Base Italy. Program Manager of the $575 million, 98-NATO-project Aviano 2000 construction program, the largest in the Air Force. Responsible for managing all projects from cradle-to grave; supervised 30 engineers, logistics, and support professionals. Negotiated with US Navy project managers and Italian General Staff. Coordinated multiple project reviews with Italian Engineering Project Managers to keep key base leadership informed on progress.
- Air Force Civil Engineering Officer, USAF Multiple career positions, over 24 years, all levels of responsibility, serving in 5 countries. Program Manager, staff of 30 engineers for the $500M, 98 project Aviano Base Italy Rebuild. US Embassy Cairo Egypt working directly with Egyptian DoD in US Foreign Military Sales. Other positions included Headquarters Division Chief of Engineering Operations; Base level Director of Public Works and Engineering Flights; Academic Instructor AF Institute of Technology; Base level Facility Planning Programming and Budget Facilities manager.
- Masters of Military Science
- Masters of Engineering
- Bachelors of Civil Engineering
- Engineering in Training (EIT)
- Associate Value Specialist (AVS)
Dani Mahler, Controller
Dani is a highly experienced professional in business administration with more than 30 years of service in varying administration and accounting roles. Dani is an excellent multi-tasker and highly proficient with multiple accounting software platforms, including Foundation Soft and Project HQ. Executive HQ, Jonas Software, Deltek Ajera, Quickbooks, American Contractor, Master Builder, ComputerEase, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
Controller, AAA Fence Co., Inc, Santa Clara, CA Responsibilities
included working closely with CEO, General Manager, and Project Managers. Oversaw Contract Administration and Accounting Specialist along with day-to-day operations. She performed Payroll, Quarterly Tax Reporting, Accounts Payable, Certified Payroll, and Union Reporting, as well as Monthly Balance Sheets, Profit and Loss, Trial Balance, and Journal Entries. Set up new accounting procedures. Additionally, Dani performed all Credit Card and Bank Reconciliations—onboarded and off-boarded Employees. I also worked closely with Project Managers and ensured they adhered to policies and procedures for Project Management. She performed a Software Conversion from American
Contractor to Foundation Soft. Set up Project HQ and Executive HQ, which is project management software.
Controller, Securetech Fence Co., Inc. San Jose, CA — Worked closely with President and Vice-President to reach goals outlined by Owner—reduced Accounts Receivable to less than 10K for over 90 days past due. Oversee, Administrator, and Accounting Specialist, and day-to-day operations. Accounts Payable, Payroll, Certified Payroll, and Union Reporting. Performed Month End Reporting, Incomes Statement, Balance Sheet, and Trial Balance. Performed all Credit Card and Bank Reconciliations. Review and sign Contracts and complete pre-qualification packages. Obtained Bonds as needed, also completed a software conversion from Quickbooks to Jonas Construction Software.
Office Manager, Ghirardelli Associates, Inc. San Jose, CA — Responsibilities included: Construction Management Company. Working closed with President to review and break down the project scope of work and task definition. Input budgets, monthly billing, and quarterly reporting. Pre-qualified Sub-Contractors, Prevailing Wage Payroll, as well as Certified Payroll. Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable. Maintained Contract Folders and Certificates of Insurance, Prepared all Contract Administration work, and kept budgets on Projects, Change Orders, and Contract Amendments.
Office Manager, Ghirardelli Associates, Inc. San Jose, CA – Continued Performed a Software Conversion from Quickbooks to Deltek Ajera. Maintained day to day operations.
Accounting Certificate ITT Peterson School of Business,
Computer Programming Evergreen Valley College
Gerald Hernandez, EP, MAC, CPM, Sr. Environmental Project Manager
An accomplished, effective, and efficient Senior Environmental Manager with 29+ years of leadership experience in managing Federal, State, and Municipal Projects. Recognized for the exceptional ability to direct project teams to complete challenging projects that meet and exceed client expectations, budgetary goals, and regulatory requirements. Proven communicator, fostering trusting and long-lasting relations with management, team members, third-party agents, and clients. Maintains a current Department of Energy (DoE) L Security Clearance.
- Department of Energy (DoE) Gaseous Diffusion Plant, Piketon, OH. Developed Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs) and provide safety oversight for over 800 construction, maintenance, and/or demolition projects at the DoE Gaseous Diffusion Plant. Served as the primary compliance contact and Subject Matter Expert (SME) on assigned specialty area(s). Developed engineering controls, safe work practices, administrative controls, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) guidance for personnel working with and around hazardous chemicals and radioactive materials. Worked with operations and regional organizations to maintain compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), DoE and state standards. Supported the investigation and communication of near misses, releases and other relevant incidents that occur under the jurisdiction of the DoE.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), NY. Managed 12 industrial hygienist and safety personnel during Hurricane Sandy operations, completing health and safety audits for Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs), branch offices, and the New York City Joint Field Office (JFO). Performed Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) assessments at select DRCs, JFO and sections of Far Rockaway, NY.
- U.S. Army Reserve Command (USARC), Nationwide. Completed Industrial Hygiene (IH) exposure monitoring for the 88th Regional Support Command throughout the US, collecting and interpreting exposure readings and air samples for Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulated hazardous materials.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Nationwide. Performed Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) throughout the U.S. and developed Phase II delineation and remediation reports in accordance with ASTM E-1527, with 100% of all 65 projects completed on time and within budget.
- General Services Administration (GSA), Nationwide. Performed Environmental Audits (EAs) at GSA offices throughout the northeast, including evaluation of hazardous materials storage, use and disposal. Provided summary of findings and recommendations for operation and compliance improvements that were implemented in managed facilities located throughout the U.S. Collected air samples at each office for evaluation of Sick Building Syndrome and the management of Asbestos and Lead Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Programs.
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Southern U.S. Managed Occupational Safety & Health (OS&H) workplace inspections throughout the southern U.S., improving overall audit accuracy and completion ratings by 40%.
- Burge Engineering & Associates, San Antonio, TX. Supervised the Environmental Department of five professionals improving overall team performance, accuracy, budget maintenance and project completion by 35%. Developed proposals for over 350 environmental projects and tracking project expenditures of up to $500K. Reviewed monthly TCEQ Chemical Water Sampling Reports and associated chain-of-custody (COC) documents for approximately 300 water wells located throughout central Texas. Managed reports for Phase II environmental projects to include installation of test pits, monitoring wells, sampling and characterization of impacted soils, groundwater and manifesting materials for disposal. Completed National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) assessments for various cell tower companies located throughout the U.S. Oversaw business development and grew existing client relationships with $350K annual increase in revenue.
- H.B. Fuller, San Antonio, TX. Developed American Institute of Architects (AIA) presentations for 475 architects, engineers, and developers. Provided technical expertise on IAQ related projects and developed best practice procedures for remediation and construction related projects that resulted in 100% customer satisfaction. Expanded business into construction market, generating $2M in additional revenue, while maintaining relationships with existing distributors that ensured 100% in retention.
- Engineering Consulting Services, Ltd., San Antonio, TX. Supervised over 15 environmental and safety professionals, ensuring 90% in employee retention. Reviewed Phase I & II ESAs and Work-Place Hazard Assessments on Federal and commercial properties. Managed over 200 NEPA assessments completed throughout the U.S. Developed, performed, reviewed and managed IAQ investigations for over eight insurance companies.
- Environmental Professional
- Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science, Certified Public Manager, Texas State University
- Associate of Science, Occupational Safety and Health, Texas State Technical College
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- TDHS Mold Assessment Consultant (License No. MAC1230)
- ODH Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialist (License No. ES36135)
- OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER Certification
- OSHA 29 CFR 1910: 30-Hour General Industry
- OSHA 29 CFR 1926: 30-Hour Construction
- OSHA 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher Course
- Department of Energy (DOE) – Radiation Worker I & II Certified
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE): Levels A, B, & C
- Certified Public Manager (CPM)
- Security Clearance (DOE – L Clearance)